Beavers in Scotland
The 'Beavers in Scotland' report was presented to Scottish Ministers in June 2015. It was the culmination of many years of dedicated research, investigation and discussion.
The report draws on 20 years of work on beavers in Scotland, as well as experience from elsewhere in Europe and North America. It provides a comprehensive summary of existing knowledge and offers four future scenarios for beavers in Scotland for Ministers to consider. It covers a wide range of topics from beaver interactions to natural and human environments, to legal issues and management considerations.
This report draws on work and experience generated through SNH commissioned projects, the Scottish Beaver Trial, the Tayside Beaver Study Group, the Beaver-Salmonid Working Group, the National Species Reintroduction Forum and a range of other studies from Scotland and abroad.
The reintroduction of a species, absent for many centuries, is a very significant decision for any Government to make. To support the decision-making process we produced this comprehensive report providing one of the most thorough assessments ever done for a species reintroduction proposal.
What's in the report?
The contents of the report are listed here, to give you an idea of what it covers:
- Chapter 1 Introduction and background
- Chapter 2 Sources of information
- Chapter 3 Beavers and their interactions with the natural environment
- 3.1 Beaver ecology
- 3.2 Potential beaver habitat and population
- 3.3 Beaver genetics
- 3.4 Interactions with habitats and species
- 3.4.1 Woodland
- 3.4.2 Freshwater - Standing waters
- 3.4.3 Freshwater - Running waters
- 3.4.4 Bryophytes, fungi and lichens
- 3.4.5 Terrestrial vascular plants
- 3.4.6 Invertebrates
- 3.4.7 Fish
- 3.4.8 Amphibians and reptiles
- 3.4.9 Birds
- 3.4.10 Mammals
- 3.5 Summary
- Chapter 4 Beavers and their interactions with the human environment
- 4.1 Socio-economics
- 4.2 Fisheries
- 4.3 Forestry
- 4.4 Agriculture
- 4.5 Infrastructure and general land use
- 4.6 Public and animal health
- 4.7 Summary
- Chapter 5 Legal issues and the management of beavers and their impacts
- Chapter 6 Future scenarios for beavers in Scotland
- Appendix 1 Assessment of the Scottish Beaver Trial
- Appendix 2 Summary of relevant legislation
In addition to the 'Beavers in Scotland' report we have also published a package of supporting information. This includes the outputs of the Scottish Beaver Trial, Tayside Beaver Study Group, Beaver-Salmonid Working Group and a range of other SNH-commissioned projects.
Last updated on Thursday 3rd November 2016 at 16:32 PM. Click here to comment on this page