Other SNH work on beavers
We've been investigating the issues surrounding beavers and beaver reintroduction since 1995, and have now collated this information in our 2015 'Beavers in Scotland' report. A lot of this information was based on the work of the Scottish Beaver Trial, the Tayside Beaver Study Group and the Beaver Salmonid Working Group, and the individual reports which came from these projects are listed on our relevant web pages.
However, there were also a number of other 'stand-alone' projects on beavers that we organised. We've listed the final reports below.
You can also read more about the background to a lot of this work in our Species Action Framework Handbook chapter on beavers.
NEWS - new reports published, June 2015
As well as publishing the full 'Beavers in Scotland' report in June 2015, we also published some supporting information at the same time. This included some further outputs from the Scottish Beaver Trial and Tayside Beaver Study Group, and they are available on the relevant web pages.
In addition we have produced these new reports. They describe a comprehensive review of beavers and biodiversity, and of beavers and management, plus an assessment of potential beaver habitat in Scotland and a new predictive model which shows how the populations may change at Knapdale and Tayside in the future:
- Campbell-Palmer, R., Schwab, G., Girling, S., Lisle, S. & Gow, D. (2015). Managing wild Eurasian beavers: a review of European management practices with consideration for Scottish application. Scottish Natural Heritage Commissioned Report No. 812.
- Shirley, M.D.F., Harrington, L.A. & Mill, A.C. (2015). A model simulating potential colonisation by Eurasian beaver (Castor fiber) following reintroduction to Scotland. Scottish Natural Heritage Commissioned Report No. 814
- Stringer, A.P., Blake, D. & Gaywood, M.J. (2015). A review of beaver (Castor spp.) impacts on biodiversity, and potential impacts following a reintroduction to Scotland. Scottish Natural Heritage Commissioned Report No. 815
- Stringer, A.P., Blake, D. & Gaywood, M.J. (2015). A geospatial analysis of potential Eurasian beaver (Castor fiber) colonisation following reintroduction to Scotland. Scottish Natural Heritage Commissioned Report No. 875
Our publications on beavers
Here is our list of our other SNH reports:
- Armstrong, H M, Poulsom, L, Simson, P, Wilson, J, and Tracy, D (2004). Testing methods for monitoring beaver impacts on terrestrial vegetation in Knapdale. SNH Commissioned Report 26, Battleby.
- Collen, P (1997). Review of the potential impacts of re-introducing Eurasian beaver Castor fiber L. on the ecology and movement of native fishes, and the likely implications for current angling practices in Scotland. SNH Review 86, Battleby.
- Conroy, J, and Kitchener, A (1996). The Eurasian beaver (Castor fiber) in Scotland: a review of the literature and historical evidence. SNH Review 49, Battleby.
- Gow, D (2002). The transport, quarantine and captive management of European beaver Castor fiber. Unpublished report to SNH by Wildwood, Kent.
- Gurnell, A (1997). Analysis of the effects of beaver dam-building activities on local hydrology. SNH Review 85, Battleby.
- Kemp, P S, Worthington, T A and Langford T E L (2010). A critical review of the effects of beavers upon fish and fish stocks. SNH Commissioned Report 349, Battleby.
- Kitchener, A, and Lynch, J M (2000). A morphometric comparison of the skulls of fossil British and extant European beavers, Castor fiber. SNH Review 127, Battleby.
- Macdonald, D, Maitland, P, Rao, S, Rushton, S, Strachan, R, and Tattersall, F (1997). Development of a protocol for identifying beaver release sites. SNH Research, Survey & Monitoring 93, Battleby.
- Morrison, A (2004). Trial re-introduction of the European beaver to Knapdale: public health monitoring 2001-3. SNH Commissioned Report 77, Battleby.
- Reynolds, P (2000). European beaver and woodland habitats: a review. SNH Review 126, Battleby.
- Pillai, A., Heptinstall, D., Hammond, M., Redpath, S. Saluja, P.G. (2012). Derogations for protected species in European reintroductions. Scottish Natural Heritage Commissioned Report No.524.
- Rushton, S, South, A, and Macdonald, D (2000). Predicting the outcome of a proposed re-introduction of the European beaver (Castor fiber) to Scotland. SNH Research, Survey & Monitoring 153, Battleby.
- Rushton, S, South, A, and Lurz, P (2002). Predicting the outcome of a proposed re-introduction of the European beaver Castor fiber at Knapdale, Argyll. SNH Commissioned Report F022AC327, Battleby.
- Scott Porter Research and Marketing (1998). Re-introduction of European Beaver to Scotland: results of a public consultation. SNH Research, Survey & Monitoring 121, Battleby.
- Scottish Natural Heritage (1998). Reintroduction of the European beaver to Scotland: A Public Consultation. SNH, Battleby. (Note - this document was produced for a previous 1998 national consultation which is now closed).
- Webb, A, French, D D, and Flitsch, A C C (1997). Identification and assessment of possible beaver sites in Scotland. SNH Research, Survey & Monitoring 94, Battleby.
PhDs supported by SNH
The following PhD was supported by an SNH-CASE studentship:
- Jones, K. (2006). Ecological effects of the feeding and construction activities of the Eurasian beaver (Castor fiber) in Scotland: implications for reintroduction. PhD thesis, University of Stirling.
Scottish Natural Heritage is also contributing funds to a PhD looking at beaver-salmonid interactions based at the University of Southampton. The project started in 2014.
Scientific papers based on our work
The following scientific papers are based, or partly based, on the above Scottish Natural Heritage projects, and/or have been produced by our staff.
- Batty, D (2002). Beavers: Aspen heaven or hell? In: Cosgrove, P, & Amphlett, A (eds) The Biodiversity and Management of Aspen Woodlands: Proceedings of a one-day conference held in Kingussie, Scotland, 25th May 2001, pp. 41-44. The Cairngorms Local Biodiversity Action Plan, Grantown-on-Spey, UK.
- Collen, P & Gibson, R J (2001). The general ecology of beavers (Castor spp.), as related to their influence on stream ecosystem and riparian habitats, and subsequent effects on fish - a review. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 10: 439-461.
- Galbraith, C A, & Gaywood, M J (2002). The proposed trial re-introduction of European beaver: The Giardia issue. Environmental Health Scotland 14 (4): 12-13.
- Gaywood, M (2001). A trial re-introduction of the European beaver to Scotland. In: Czech, A, & Schwab, G (eds) The European Beaver in a New Millennium. Proceedings of second European Beaver Symposium, 27-30 September 2000, Bialowieza, Poland. Carpathian Heritage Society, Krakow, Poland.
- Gaywood, M (2005). A proposed trial re-introduction of European beaver to Knapdale. In: Rooney, P, Nolan, P, & Hill, D (eds) Restoration, Reintroduction and Translocation. Proceedings of the 20th Conference of the Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management, 9-11 November 2004, Southport.
- Gaywood, M, Batty, D and Galbraith, C (2008). Reintroducing the European beaver in Britain. British Wildlife 19(6) 381-391.
- Gurnell, A M (1998). The hydrogeomorphological effects of beaver dam-building activity. Progress in Physical Geography 22: 167-189.
- Jones, K, Gilvear, D, Willby, N and Gaywood, M (2003). Felling and foraging:results of the first year of beaver (Castor fiber) activity in an enclosed Scottish site. Lutra 46: 163-172.
- Jones, K, Gilvear, D, Willby, N and Gaywood, M (2008). Willow (Salix spp.) and aspen (Populus tremula) regrowth after felling by the Eurasian beaver (Castor fiber): Implications for riparian woodland conservation in Scotland. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 19: 43-64.
- Kemp, P S, Worthington, T A, Langford, T E L, Tree, A R J and Gaywood, M J (2012). Qualitative and quantitative effects of reintroduced beavers on stream fish. Fish and Fisheries 13(2):158-181.
- Kitchener, A, & Conroy, J (1996). History of the beaver in Scotland and the case for its reintroduction. British Wildlife 7: 156-161.
- Kitchener, A, & Conroy, J (1997). The history of the Eurasian beaver Castor fiber in Scotland. Mammal Review 27: 95-108.
- MacDonald, D W, Tattersall, F H, Brown, E D & Balharry D (1995). Reintroducing the European beaver to Britain: nostalgic meddling or restoring biodiversity. Mammal Review 25:161-200.
- South, A, Rushton, S & MacDonald, D (2000). Simulating the proposed reintroduction of the European beaver (Castor fiber) to Scotland. Biological Conservation 93: 103-116.
Last updated on Monday 11th January 2016 at 15:17 PM. Click here to comment on this page