skip to main content

Licensing news - see what is happening in licensing this month!

Bats and licensing

All bat species in Scotland are given protection under the Conservation (Natural Habitats, &c.) Regulations 1994 (as amended) as European protected species.  Licences are available for certain purposes to permit actions that might otherwise constitute an offence in relation to bats.  Advice is provided below on licensing requirements for common scenarios in relation to bats and bat roosts.  Links to the appropriate forms and guidance are given for situations where a licence is required.

If you have bats in your house and are looking for advice please phone the Bats in Houses Helpline: 01463 725165 or email

If your query is in relation to planning and development and you need to have a bat survey, you would need to contact a licensed bat consultant to discuss your requirements. A list of licensed bat consultant can be found by doing a general internet search for a licensed bat consultant. You could also search on the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM) website at external site  (choose bats in both the species and licences held boxes). Not all licensed bat consultants are registered with CIEEM, so it is also worth doing a general internet search. You should ask whether the consultant holds a bat survey licence for Scotland. Bat surveys should be conducted in accordance with the Bat Conservation Trust's Bat Surveys Good Practice Guidelines . CIEEM produce a useful guide for homeowners on what to expect from a bat survey required for small-scale development (householder planning applications).

For further information or advice please contact or telephone 01463 725364.


Last updated on Friday 18th March 2016 at 14:34 PM. Click here to comment on this page